Friday, July 31, 2009

Walking a rabbit?

I bought a harness for my dwarf rabbit and I want to walk her. Has anyone ever done this? How does the rabbit actually react?
Answers:
My bunny hates being walked, he thinks I'm chasing him so he runs away. So I don't use a leash, I just trust him and let him run around (he always goes inside his cage by himself =) ). I read somewhere that if you do walk them, you should let them lead you, not the other way around. Another option you have is setting up a run ( a little fenced in area) if you don't want to walk your bunny.
yes you can do this. My sister has a dwarft with a harness and leash. The rabbit (Mr.Big Winks) loves it. He walks on the leash without any problems.
You have to get them used to it. Slowly - probably 15 minutes at a time just around the house at first.
I knew someone who got their rabbit used to it. But, they aren't dogs. The ARE going to stop sometimes and wander or graze - in nature, they don't lope along for extended times like dogs do - you need to consider that.
If you only want her to be able to exercize, buy a pen. (But it would be more fun to walk her!)
make it as tight as the bunny is comfortable with (make sure you can put your fingers in between to make sure its not to tight) walk it around the house first to make sure that the rabbit is comfortable with walking and cant / wont get out of the harness. 3 of my rabbits liked to be walked but one of the hates it i actually had to chase one of mine around the whole yard before i caught him!
it will be ok just make sure u dont walk by any sharp objects or it will get stuck in there foot.
This girl round by me (We used 2 call her house a zoo)
she had like 10 hamsters
20 guinie pigs
4 goats
10 rabbits
ahd she used 2 walk the rabbits and goats.
my moms friend has done it. the rabbit even has a litter box! the rabbit is so cute! its name is cookie
it all depends on the rabbit, each one has their own personality, and it also depends on how you break the rabbit into being restrained. My norwegian dwarf loved to be walked, he would run and jump and have a good time. Where as my dutch is still getting used to the halter and leash. She gets very tense when I put it on her. I just started taking her outside more and she's starting to loosen up a bit. But some rabbits are so stuborn that you can't even get the halter on them.
its a horrible experience for me...i think rabbits would never like this because they enjoy being free.
ive tried two of my rabbits and no matter how tight i put it theyd always get out of it. my moms bf has made it tight enough b4 i think and its not really any fun because i end up dragging them to where they want to go.
no matter how tight you put it, it will not hurt the bunny as the leash is made for rabbits. they will try to wriggle out only because they dont like the experience but its not because its hurting them. its not very useful as you can not really lead the rabbit where you want to go. rabbits are known to hop wherever they want so you have to let them lead you. if you dont mind the rabbit being the leader then id say go ahead and try it out. i suppose its something theyd have to get used to. once theyre used to it then they wont try to wiggle out.
I bought harnesses for my rabbits and they hate it. They struggle when you are trying to get the harness on. It is very difficult. Once you get them on, they just try to bite it off. Or they just sit there and lay flat. They don't walk. I tug a little to tell them to go, but they just sit there staring at me. I already gave up!
I bought a harness for my rabbit. She didn't mind me putting the harness on, but hated it when I attached the leash! I gave up after the first try, but if you are patient you can get them used to it. Make sure you do not walk your rabbit where there may be dogs about.

No comments:

Post a Comment