Wednesday, July 29, 2009

To get a Guinea Pig or not to get a Guinea Pig. That is the question...?

My daughter has decided she REALLY REALLY REALLY wants a guinea pig. (before you ask, she is 12) I really wouldn't mind having one, after all, she has spewed out everything she knows to me. My HUSBAND doesn't want anymore pets. We have a bird we might as well give up on socializing, a elderly rat, and an outside St. Bernard. To think, we used to have 4 hermit crabs, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 gerbils, a rat and a bird. he almsot got us another puppy. My question is, how can I convince my husband to get a guinea pig for my daughter?
Her birthday has PASSED, and I already tried asking, serval times. Men are so hard-headed sometimes. Anyways, any ideas? (Oh, and don't suggest I go out and buy on without telling. Been there, done that, twice on the same day.)
~Rainbow AKA Ellen.
Answers:
Ask him exactly why it is he's so dead set against it. He'll give you a superfluous answer, probably, so dig into it. Dig deep enough and he'll realize it's okay to get one or you'll realize he's got a really good reason.
Even people who know that communication is key to a relationship seem to forget it when the time for that communication comes along in an unexpected form.
Don't !! I'm with your husband on this one. I have a beautiful canary and he doen't need any more family.
Make your daughter have REAL friends. Guinea pigs are rodents, just like the rat. When they get loose, they chew on furniture and wiring in the house.
And they arn't that affectionate.
But, the question is that do you even have the time to take care of the guinea pig. She might get tired of it and stop caring for it, and then th parents would have to do it. It is possible.
hmm, thats a toughie.
Maybe have your daughter work the guilt on him and offer to clean the cage and whatnot.
Personally i dislike Guinea Pigs they smell something awful.
or maybe offer to petsit a guinea pig while that friend goes on a vacation and see how he feels after awhile.
They don't smell, Beg him! Grovel on your knees! Okay maybe not but give him a sad look and have your daughter tell him the things he told you. If none work then Tell him in a polite way that If he won't get her one you will (but don't actually get one). I hope it helps!! Good luck!!
deffinantly get one.
Research it with him. Bring him to the petstore, show him them. Forwarning ahead of time, guinea pigs are very noisy, messy, and smelly. I have one who screams when she wants something. They require constant attention and it's manditory that they have something to gnaw on;; otherwise, thier teeth overgrow. They are nippy, and wiggly, and they scratch a lot.
But on the convincing your husband part, have your daughter talk to him. Show him where you'd put it, and assure him it wouln't be in his way. Men are very hard-headed, I 100% agree. They just sometimes need a nudge.
Well, hmm..who takes care of the animals in the family? (you, daughter, him?) if you or your daughter will take care of it just tell him that. Maybe let her keep it in her room and he won't have to see it?
She would be really happy if she got a guinea pig but that is alot of animals u own!.
What is it with husbands and saying no to gunea pigs? My husband won't let me get one even though I already have everything for it because my rabbit ran away recently and I always look after our pets! Any recently a stray cat was hanging around and he actually named it so i am assuming we are keeping it. Anyway I was thinking that maybe if one just turned up outside i would be able to keep it but then again that may not be believable. i have been thinking of ways to get one and the only thing I can think of is if someone gave me one for a present. So what you should do is get your mother or sister or someone close to give your daughter a guinea pig as a present. it could be for getting a good mark on a test or assignment at school. Even if she didn't do well make a fake one for your husband. Also you go and buy the guinea pig and everythin g for it and then you hand everything over to the person who is going to go along with the story and have them bring it over as a surprise for your daughter. He can't give back a present now can he? Especially when the pet shop won't take it back!
2 many pets are gonna make da house stinky. She can`t get everything she wants tell her NO
give him a couple of weeks and suggest a type of really smelly or bad behaved animal and then he will probably suggest that you get a Guinea pig insted then its his idea.
That is exactly how I got my mom to cave and buy me a guinea pig but then Emma needed a friend so we got Monica but we also don't have a man in the house so it was easy but does your husband know that they don't smell? Does he know everything that your daughter told you? If so try the puppy eyes from your daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment