Friday, July 31, 2009

Very Sad!?

I'm really sad because I got a brand new (first time) guinea pig, and then I find out I'm allergic to it (I wasn't sneezing or itching my eyes, but my throat was getting scratchy). And now I think for my health I have to return it after I spent 40 dollars on the supplies and the guinea. :'-(
Answers:
OMG me 2, I gave him a bath every 2mounths, he smelt better and I felt better. Try to comb ur guinea pig every day cause da fur might have cost u the allergic reaction. (they shed fur alot)
give the guinea pig a good bath or 2 first before you return him - you may just be allergic to something on his skin
Do you have a question?
You might just have to take some antihistamines (allergy tablets) for a while to help you then after a while you might be able to come off them as your body gets used to the guinea pig, Good luck!!
It is sad but better be safe than sorry. Your allergy could put you back by many more dollars.
Be sure that it is actually the guinea pig that is causing the reaction. This is the time of year where environmental allergens are all over the place. This may just be a bad coincidence.
Also living with pets while having mild allergies to them isn't so bad. I have two cats and whenever I rub all over the long haired one I come back with red puffy eyes and a scratchy throat. I have just learned to go and wash my face off after snuggling with my cat.
Poor you! I really think instead of returning it to the shop, give him/her to one of your friends or something, I would never return my Piggy to the shop!
Cook and eat it. It will cure your allergies.
I use to work for a pet store and had a little boy have to return his guinea pig because his doctor said he was allergic. It was so sad he was crying he had named his guinea Andy after him. I cried also because it was so sad. I would suggest going to the doctor to find out if its really the guinea that's making you that way or something else first before deciding you need to return him/her. It might just be because its allergy season. good luck
You MAY be allergic to the hay you have to feed the piggie. While there's no getting around the fact that your piggie *must* have hay, you could try Orchard Grass %26 see if that doesn't help. You can buy Orchard Grass from http://www.kmshayloft.com/ . If you're using wood shavings for bedding, it may be that too. Try switching to Carefresh.
I was going to say exactly what Justified said. I am allergic to the hay that my pigs had. I would break out in red itchy splotches every time I held them. At first, I dealt with it with benadryl. Recently I switched to KM's Hayloft Bluegrass hay, and I don't itch at all anymore. Ordering hay online is actually cheaper, b/c you get larger quantities for your money. Hay can be kept for a very long time if stored properly. So, my 25 lbs that I got yesterday will last me until probably Halloween.
If it is a mild allergy and you don't order hay online, try wearing a long sleeve shirt and/or gloves when you hold him. Avoid contact with your skin.
sorry about your allergies. maybe get some allergy medicine and see if that helps. if you do decide to give your guinea pig back consider giving it to a guinea pig rescue. they will take very good care of your piggie!
Give the guinea pig to a really close family member who you know will take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment