Thursday, July 30, 2009

Two Guinea Pig questions?

There are two rats that are outside my house and I have been trying to kill them with rat traps, etc. They are coming to my house because of the Guinea Pig food that my piggies eat. One of my piggies was bleeding and the vet said that it could be due to the other one attacking him. They are both males, but have lived in the pet shop together since they were born and have never had any problems before. I took the bleeding one to the vet, and she said they could be having dominance problems. I think that the rat bit him, but he is better now. I put them in separate cages and they have both been alone for 2 weeks now, with bitten one in the garage and the other one in the backyard. They seem very lonely and I was wondering if I could put them back together again. I think that they will be okay if I do but should I introduce them slowly, while watching them for a couple of hours at a time or should I just put them in together at once?
Answers:
Maybe you could put the two cages next to each other so the Guinea pigs could see each other. Please be carefull with the rats. They carry many germs and will kill your Guinea pigs if given the chance.
Maybe you could put their cages next to each other and see how they behave. Even if they can't share the same cage they could enjoy being near one another.
Definately agreeing with the first answerer.
Guinea pigs can get along well if they're just placed, comfortably, next to one another. =)
My guinea pig is in with my bunny and they are fine
are they neutered. if you neuter at least one of them all of the fighting will stop.
Could of been the rat, but two males don't usually get along all the time.
They will fight once in awhile.
You can put them back together and just watch them.
They are use to each other.
It's not unusual for males to fight, even when raised together. Seperate housing is advised. The rats can carry disease. Pigs shouldn't be outside or in the garage...they are very susceptible to heat and the garage may have dangerous fumes or chemicals. Also, fyi, don't house with rabbits, as the rabbit can carry disease and give to the pigs.
Guinea pigs usually dont attack on another. Especially if they have been toghether for a long time. I would but them in the same cage for a couple of hours and keep a close eye on them. If no problems occur I would leave them in the same cage togther.
No don't put the 2 males together. They will fight each other and then it's a vets visit. I gave away my spare male. Unless you want to keep breeding it's only necessary to have one male. We used to keep the male separate from the famales until we wanted to breed from him.
My guinea pigs had problums for awhile. the one had some pretty bad wounds. what i did is i built a second level. so they each have there own space. ever since they have been great they have there own space but can play when they want. :-)
p.s. please don't kill the rats. geta have a heart trap plz. let the rat live it's live. rats are awsome i had some so plz dont kill anything.its murder. :-(
Unfortunatly this happens with males. They are fine when they are young then one day...boom.. male dominence. The will only fight if you put them back together. You can however keep them in the same room. The below website and fourm are great if not a bit strick on guinea pig advice.
Sounds like they hit puberty, and are starting the domanince issues. Try reintroducing them with these steps: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm...

No comments:

Post a Comment