Thursday, July 30, 2009

Too old to have baby ratties?

I have a female rat who will be 2 in October is it still safe for her to have babies? Or is she too old and would it put too much stress on her? She is very active and gentle. She is housed with her sister, and I know she would have to be separated for her pregnancy. If she can this would be her first litter.
Answers:
From http://www.ratfanclub.org/repro.html...
"Birth in rats usually proceeds without need for assistance, but occasionally, and especially in first-time moms older than 6-8 months, there will be problems. I've seen 3 rats who died during birth. The danger of an obstructed birth is that the mother can go into shock. A Cesarean section may be possible if done soon enough."
I know how you feel. Our oldest girl right now is almost the same age and I really wish I could breed her, in hopes her personality would pass on to her babies.
Being that rats only live 2 to 3 years on average. It might be a little late on having babies.
Everywhere I've read say 1st litter before they're a year old... so I'd not try it.
If you want more ratties, there's 100s (maybe thousands :( ) in rescue centres and such that need homes, maybe you could adopt? And I daresay if you just want to see babies, a small rescue centre set up by people would probably let you see any they have.
But good luck with this, whatever you decide to do!
Your girl is definately too old %26 it would be very dangerous for her if you tried to breed her.
I agree with the person who suggests looking for a small animal rescue in your area if you want pups, there are always so many who need a new home. Also, while I've read in some places that 1 year is the oldest that a rat doe should be allowed to start a family, 6-9 months is optimal.
I am so sorry but to breed rats the first time you breed the female she must be younger than eight months, the reason you shouldn't if you have never bred her is because this way she is more prone to having a c section... So sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment