Thursday, July 30, 2009

Training my guinea pig?

can I train my guinea pig to come to me when I come in?
Answers:
Yes, you can! It will take practice, though. It's been said that guinea pigs (and other small animals!), can be clicker trained! I would recommend that you get a clicker (like for a dog!), that you may purchase at any pet store! Also, some treats, veggies, or fruits will be GREAT for rewarding! Next time that you let your guinea pig out of it's cage, set him down on the floor. Try calling it's name. If it comes, then, click the clicker, and give your guinea pig a treat. But, if your guinea pig doesn't come, then, try to slap the floor, or your knee. If your guinea pig comes, then click, and reward! It will take TONS of practice, but, if you REALLY want to train your guinea pig, then, that's what it's all about! NEVER tell your guinea pig "NO!" or yell at him/her. That only puts stress on both guinea pig, and owner! Please, only reward, and click if nessacary. Remember, your guinea pig won't get it on the first day. Try to keep your training sessions short, so, for about, 5 minutes on the first day. Keep that pattern for a week. Then, go for 10 minutes for the rest of the training session. No training session should be any longer then 10 minutes. Thanks, and good luck,
~ Future Vet
not unless you got him when he was very young. then just do it like you would a dog or cat.
guinea pigs aren't that intelligent, so if you get them older, you just can't train them.
You probably can. I never trained my Guinea Pig too, maybe mine was just smart, but as soon as I walked in the room and yelled said "Mr. Guinea Piggggg" in a cute little voice, he'd jump right up in his cage and I'd take him out. Once I let him on the floor and he ran under the couch so I looked under the couch and said his name and he came out. So I never trained mine, but he listened, so I'm guessing you can teach them stuff.
first of all i want to thank you a milliion for your answer on my question about me being nervous about leaving my pigy at my friends while on vacation. does your pig live in a cage, or roam around kinda like a cat. if iis outta the cage then u might wanna have a peron inside ( if ther is any1 who stays home) to call ahead and ask them to bring him/her to u. or, stnd at the door with a treat evertime u come in for a while. this is tricky, but it could probably be done. u could clicker train it to come when you make a clicking sound ( or other sound) and just whistle or something everytime that u com in. good luck and God bless
Regardless of what anyone tells you guinea pigs are very intelligent. You need to pick a tone to say his/her name with
and find a good treat (My Belle just loves romaine lettuce).
Take your guinea pig into a room that has nothing more interesting than you in it (I used a bathroom with just a sink). Start to say its name when it looks at you give it a treat. Continue to do this for a long time continuously raising the criteria for the treat and it will come to its name every time.
Keep the sessions short and always end on a high note.
You can use these same principle with any trick and any animal.
When ever you go into the room take a treat in with you, like a carrot or whatever he likes, then if he doesn't come to you feed it to him anyway. After a little while he'll know u'll have a treat and he'll come straight to you, if you what him to come to his name or something then just say it to him while you give him the treat, kinda like when the ppl ring the bell when they feed the fish to get them to come to the top. Well I hope that helps, good luck!
usually if you give it the vegtables every day like your supposed to (im not saying you dont) it will probably figure out that when you come in it means its getting food so then it usually starts waiting for you and be happy when you come
You can't really train Guinea pigs, but she may come to you anyway just because she loves you.
guinea pigs have about 4 1/2 brain cells...so i'd say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment