Monday, May 24, 2010

What breed of rat is best for 9 year olds?


Answers:
there is no such thing as "breed" of rat. There are simply variations, or types.
Any kind of rat is great for any person, because they are all about the same . Behavior and temperment varying on the individual rat itself.
Many rat keepers own dumbos, however, I prefer the "regular" rat.
I would not recommend rats period.
eewwweee how about NONE!
Go to the pet store and ask someone which breed of rat (or even mouse or hamster) is best for a young child. They would certainly know better, and might even help you pick out one of the more friendlier of the animals that they sell
A DEAD rat!
if u want a rat then i would go with a "fancy rat" they last pretty long my friend has one and loves it
Any rat breed is good however the common hooded is often the most docile.
Males are more docile and often fall asleep on shoulder or laps but scent alot. Females are more active but dont scent as much.
What I will say is 9 yrs is a bit young unless they are very very grown up 9 year olds. Rats had delicate tails and from experiance I know children seem to think they can be picked up by there tails or use them as a leash which is wrong a rats tail can skin itslelf if it is picked up by it.
Could I recomend a Guinea Pig they live longer ( rats only live 3 years and it is heartbreaking when they go) and there is now a fab variety of indoor and out door living for these cute critters.
Any variety of fancy rat would be great for a nine year old. I believe that rats make the best pets, are fun, and teach responsibility.
Try to get young rats (you want to get more than one because rats are very social) so they can more easily adapt to a new environment. Females are more active and love to play. Males are more laid back and like you to rub them behind the ears. Rats are better than hamsters because they rarely bite and love to be with you!
Ask the people at the petstore if you can hold some before buying and try to find one that is not too scared. Although they still might be a little nervous, they just need time to get used to you. The more you hold them and play with them, the more they will be comfortable with you (and/or the 9 year old).
Good luck finding your ratties!
I got my first rat when I was nine! She's still living upstairs with me! I'm 12 now. I recommend a fancy rat (Sugar was purchased from petsmart).

No comments:

Post a Comment