Saturday, May 22, 2010

What are the best Commercial Guinea Pig cages?

My Cavy is still young, about 2 months, but will soon out grow his cage. I want to make sure I buy a cage that is big enough for him, and maybe another Guinea Pig to come. What are the best Commercial Guinea Pig cages? (I heard that Marchioro were great cages, and are the only store bought cages that are exceptional.)
Answers:
The best cage that you can get is a C%26C (cubes and coroplast) cage, these are easy to build, modify and clean let alone the fact that they are extremely cheap. The following site should help:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm...
Commercial cages are not that good, many are far to small. guineapigcages.com has a list of commercial cages that are available at various resources, many have wire bottoms, others are way to small. The smallest that they have listed is 2.1sq ft, 1 guinea pig should have a 7.5sq ft cage, guinea pigs do better in pairs so you should consider getting a cage mate, 2 guinea pigs need a 10.5sq ft cage. They only list commercial cages, not because they like them, but to make their site as full as possible.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/commercial...
They also list pet store cages, not because they like them, but to make their site as full as possible, one of these is the Marchioro Tommy 120. This cage is 6.1 sq ft inside, and therefore too small, other than that it is not too bad. Again many are wayy to small, have restricted airflow, really if you want the absolute best find a cage that is at least 7.5sq ft or go and invest in a C%26C cage. Here is some information on different pet store cages:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/petstoreca...
Good Luck!!
http://www.guineapigcages.com/buycc.htm...
That seems like a great place to get them but everyone doesn't like giving out their credit number and everyone doesn't live in the US so i wasn't able too. My cage is nice and big and I just got my first guinea so I'm pretty new to this but he looks pretty happy with it. I got my cage at pets unlimited and it's part of a "Living world" brand. Like I said I just got this cage so I don't know many of it's quirks yet but a hamster cage from the same brand was excellent. My guinea cage was part of a starter kit that came with bedding, food, a few treats, a water bottle and a food dish. They say the best for one guinea is 7.5 square feet and for two it's 10.5 square feet if that helps any. (I think mine's smaller though.)
the best cage for the amount of money ive foundisat petsmart and is called all living things. you can get a 36 inch cage for $45. but what ive found to be the best place for a guinea pig is to build your own. its inexpensive and gives the guinea pigs more room to play and explore.
I just use 58 quart plastic tubs from wal-mart, it's cheap big enough, and they seem to last along time. But I raise guinea pigs and can't afford to buy 20 $45 cages, so whatever you think would be best. Just make sure you get one that has a solid bottom because if they have wire bottoms their legs can get caught and brake. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment