Saturday, May 22, 2010

What are the best fruits and veggies to feed a guinea pig?

I usually give my pig carrots, baby spinach, and apples in addition to timothy hay. I gave him cilantro once, and he loved it, but I’m not sure if cilantro is “ok” for him to eat.
What other fruits and veggies would he enjoy?
Answers:
Cilantro is wonderful for your pig! Carrots and apples along with all other fruits should be an occasional treat. It's high in water and sugar. Too much an cause diarreha or diabetic shock.
Dark leafy greens should make up the majority of their veggie diet. Romaine lettuce, green or red leaf lettuces are all great. Stay away from iceburg lettuce. It has no nutritional value at all and can cause diareeha. Spinach is ok, but I wouldn't give it all the time. I can't give it at all. It causes gas in one of my pigs.
Parsley, cilantro, bell peppers, tomato, all are usual in my guy's diet. Here a sight with lists of all the fruits and veggies you can feed. http://guinealynx.info/diet_order-c.html...
Your pig should have a good, plain, quality pellet like Oxbow brand. (Mazuri or Kaytee is ok if you can't get oxbow.) Timothy hay should available to them 24/7. At least a cup of veggies should be given daily.
I ACTUALLY HEARD THAT ACIDY FRUITS ARE NOT GOOD FOR RATS. AND A GINNIE PIG IS A TYPE OF RAT CREATURE. I HAVE A RAT AND I DONT FEED HER ACIDY FRUITS. I KNOW THAT MY RAT EATS BROCCOLI SHE LOVES THAT.
i had 1 of those and i always fed it lettuce and guinea pig food. Carrots r also good but i dont no if u should feed it herbs.
Guinea Pigs like humans do not produce Vitamin C and need to be given it daily to ensure good health. Lack of vitamin C will cause scurvy. To maintain a good diet each Guinea Pig should be given 10mgs of vitamin C per day to 1kg body weight.
your normal guinea pig food you buy will have this vitamin c in it to keep your G/P healthy.
Cucumber
carrots
apple
pear
«««««Ice-burg lettuce is not suposed to be fed to Guinea Pig's because it contains toxins, and can give the runs.»»»»
You can get nutty treats that hang on there cage with honey they love them
Celery
cabbage
Sweet Corn
Broccoli
Dandelion Greens dandelions out of your garden they love them! just make sure no pestersides have been used near or on them.
I have three guinea pigs and I feed them carrots, lettuce, bannanas, and grapes. And yes, my pets are very fat.
I have a guinea pig who LOVES endive/chicory lettuce. He also loves romaine lettuce and carrots!
actully your doing fine with what your feeding him, just try not to give him too much at a time and mix it up to see what he likes, try apples for example. but make sure you try to squeeze regular feed for him too, to make sure hes getting all the the nutrients he needs.
http://www.jackiesguineapiggies.com/frui... there is a list of foods on this page.
Firstly carrots, apples and other fruit for that matter should only be given on occasions. Fruit is very high in sugar and can result in diabetes. Cilantro is fine for your guinea pig to eat as is spinach (you should see my guinea pigs gobble it up).
You need to have a bit more variety in your piggys diet. The hay is good. Do you provide plain pellets and chaff (dry mix)? Guinea pigs need fresh produce daily and they need 10mg a day fo vitamin c. Are you providing this through fruit and vegetables or through tablets? If you are providing it through fruit and vegetables then you should have a look at this table. It shows how much of each fruit and vegetables that you need to use to get 10mg of vitamin c.
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/guineas/...
Other than the occasional apple and carrot I feed my girls celery (especially the leaves), capsicum (or bell peppers), spinach, pumpkin, parsley. I have tried oranges and tomato but with little sucess. Do not use iceberg lettuce, not only does it have little nutritional value it also cause diorhhea.
Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment