Saturday, May 22, 2010

What are some good chew toys for Hamsters?

Well the question is pretty self explanatory.
Right now my Hamster has a wooden log thing. He seems to climb over it an through it a lot but no chewing.
He also has something called "Krunchies" Natural Gnaw bones for hamsters, Guinea pigs..I do not think I have ever seen him touch it since the first day I had him.
I have had him for 10 days.
Answers:
I've (currently) got two hamsters and while I provide them both with a wide variety of chew toys (wooden chew sticks, plastic beds and tubes they seem to like chewing on, cardboard tubes, and chicken flavored chew sticks) I've noticed that one of my hamsters will only chew on plastic, he ignores all of his other chew toys; the other hamster will go through phases: at first he would only chew on wood, then he ignored wood and would only chew on the chicken flavored chew sticks, now he ignores everything else and only chews on cardboard...well, my point is
1- are you should your hamster isn't chewing on something else in the hamster? such as a bed or his wheel?
2- some hamsters are picky about what they chew on so it's important to do what you're doing and look for more chew toys to offer him (good for you)
there are a variety of things you can chose from:
http://thatpetplace.com/pet/product/adva...
http://www.petco.com/shop/petco_searchre...
http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/se...
I would try things of different textures, hardness, and flavors...
here are a couple products I've had the best luck with:
this one is flavored (it's for ferrets but safe for hamsters)
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...
and this one is a hamster house-they love to eat the roof!
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...
if the log you have is hard wood then try soft wood and see if that makes a difference-good luck!
my hamster hates to chew on hamster chew toys (dont ask me why) but she loooooooooves dog treats! it helps with there teeth.
toilet paper rolls
baby carrots
wooden sticks (from the petstore)
thats wat i gave my hamster
toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes
umm.....
dog biscuits
wooden sticks from the pet store
please email me to tell me that the info helped you.
THANKS!
That sounds like a problem to me. I also have a hamster. Go to Petco, and get these granola treats that are really hard and let hamsters chew while enjoying a nice treat.
I would rccomend getting a would cabob to attach to their cage to put wood chews on my piggies love it!
my hamster hates chew toys i bought her all the types but she doesnt chew on them so i buy her like really hard hamster food and also regular hamster food
i have had her for over a year :D
i love her
i bought some fruit flavoured sticks from the pet shop and they have worked really well she loves chewing them and it keeps her teeth in good trim, if ure hamster doesnt like wooden things to chew then maybe a mineral stone (from your local pet store) they are meant to be really good and they're healthy for ure hamster !! hope ive been helpful
*loz*

No comments:

Post a Comment