Monday, May 24, 2010

What are the pros and cons of female pet rats?

Anyone?
Answers:
Pros:
Female rats, called a Doe, are significantly smaller then their male counterparts. Does weigh 200 - 500g whereas Bucks weigh 400 - 700g
Does are built for speed with their lithe, grayhound-built, bodies.
Does are very curious, always busy, and eager to explore their surroundings. This seemingly hyperactivity stays with them for their full, healthy lives.
Does interact very well with their human caregivers in spite of this
Does don't have those huge testicles that sometimes startles the uninformed.
Does are more accepting of new cage mates. Less prone to dominance issues, which some people refer to as "fighting"
Does do not mark their territory as much as Bucks do.
Does are less apt to gain weight and
Less apt to get age-related hind-end paralysis.
Does keep their cages cleaner for a longer period of time then the Bucks do
Does smell like something sweet. Some say like Grape Soda. I think it's just a clean smell. Bucks have a muskier scent which some people describe as warm taco chips. I do not find this au d'rattus offensive. Some do.
Does do not sleep any more, or any less then Bucks do. It's just that Does are so much more active when they are are awake
Does are sweet and gentle 99% of the time, but....

Cons:
Thier curiosity can get them into all sorts of mischief
Sometimes too busy for cuddles
A teeny bit harder to train because they are too preoccupied with more important things in life
Because of their small size you need an escape-proof cage, the bar spacing needs to be 3/4 inch or less
Does are more prone to mammary and pituitary tumors
Does will look for the male when they (the doe) is in heat. Make sure your Bucks and Does are inaccessable to each other
....Some Does get cranky when they are in heat or pregnant
That's all I can think of at the moment.
Rat Care:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?search=ra...
Rats like the company of their own kind:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?search=ra...
Rat Behavior:
http://www.ratbehavior.org/
Rat Health:
http://ratguide.com/
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
I had pet female mice, and they were very docile compared to my hyper male rabbit. Since they are both rodents, I would asume male rats would be hyper like my male rabbit, while female rats would be easy going like my female mice (of course it all depends on the individual, but generally speaking). My female mice were easy to handle - they didn't bite much, but my male rabbit loved to bite my family members and I. The only cons I can really think of are, what if you get a female rat that is pregnant, or what if she gets loose in your home, you can't find her, and she starts breeding (not to say there are rats in your home of course, but even if she doesn't breed in your home, what if she breeds around it? There was were a few rats living in my garage for a while, and we took care of the problem, they weren't going anywhere).
Female pet rats are more active, and interactive, than males. (Males will sleep more, and play less). Females are less likely to fight with each other, and some people think they smell a bit better. I've had many rats of both genders and I now have just two females. Up to four or five makes a nice group if your cage is big enough to accomodate that many. People who prefer male rats usually want them because of their larger size, some people prefer big rats. I recommend the females for pets for almost everyone.
Female rats tend to be smaller and less fragrant then thier male counterparts (males can be musky when females are sometimes sweet smelling). They are also generally more active but this varies widely between individuals. When un-altered they also tend to have less squabbling with cagemates then males.
Females are more prone to cancer and non-cancerous tumors then males due to hormones and that their breast tissue goes roughly half way up the sides of their body. This is not a concern if they are altered (an ovarian-hysterectomy or spaying can be done on female rats to greatly reduce their chance of tumors). Altering a female rat is usually more expensive then altering a male rat and a more intrusive surgery.
Male rats have a musk (most don't find it offensive if regular cleaning is done) but this eliminated if they are altered (they can be neutered as young as 8 weeks by an experienced rodent veterinarian), they tend to be lazier which makes them less exciting to watch but easier to cuddle with. If un-altered they have a higher chance of cagemate aggression than females. Unaltered male rats drag their testes across objects to mark them females mark too (with piddle and scent glands) but generally less.
i have never had a problem with any of my female rodents esspecially my rats. they're very good with people of all ages and very easy to take care of. my males have always been alittle more lazy and some what smellier.but that's really the only differences. it's really up to how you interact with the animal that makes their personalities.
Love them %26 Love them again!
in total i have 21 ratties.. 5 boys, 10 females and a whole bunch of babies that are too young to sex.
my girls are completly out of control, its like they take crazy tablets every day, but they are soo fun to watch, ohh i dont know the pros and cons, my girls are active crazy little buggers and my boys are quiet calm and collective quite happy to lay around and watch the females go nuts.
and yes 21 ratties do damage to my food bill..
Without reading any responses I'll tell my experience. Female rats are more interested in running around exploring and tickling the heck out of you then giving the love like a male rat. Male rats are lovers and females are more active. This is not true for all rats because I've seen exceptions. My female Bella had free roaming happiness in my house and the males were content to stick with me. Also, female do not have those huge testicle to slide along your arm or neck so maybe you might think that's a pro. They generally are just more aggressive than the male. But there are, like I said, many exceptions. They tend to smell less musky as well.
We have three female rats and I don't have any cons. They are more active than males, so if you want slower rats, males would be for you. As long as they were seperated from males at 5 weeks old, you shouldn't have to worry about bringing home a little pregnant rat. They are very loving, fun pets.
Well firstly - don't get them from a petstore!! I got my two females rats from a petstore and they bit me every time I held them. Go to a rescue or a breeder.
Females usually smell less - that's about the only pro, I can't think of any cons.
pros-cute, non biting and all around great.
cons-none!
1. the pros are their pee does not smell like males and they don't mark their territory no cons about them that i can think of
2. my dad had a male rat and he said the only difference is that males like i said mark their territory and their pee smells

No comments:

Post a Comment